Thursday, June 05, 2014

Meanwhile...

Shouldn't Mr. Swampy's dialogue bubbles be orange...?
I reviewed the first issue of the new Tiny Titans series, Tiny Titans: Return To The Treehouse for Good Comics For Kids today. If you liked the previous 50 issues of Tiny Titans, when it was an ongoing monthly, you'll like it. Plus, Swamp Thing cameo, which means Mike Sterling has to buy it! I was pleased with Art Baltazar and Franco's return to the DC characters, but I have to admit, after Superman Family Adventures, I'd kinda like to see them subject more DCU grown-ups to their style, ala Swampy and a few of the other cameos seen in this issue (Metamorpho, for example, whose right leg I never realized was made out of wood). I sure wouldn't mind a Justice League Advetures or DC Universe Adventures or something by the pair in the future. Baltazar' draws everyone in the DC Universe really awesomely, as his illustrations in the DC Super-Pets Character Encyclopedia demonstrated (the sole exception being his Green Lantern John Stewart, who he draws with hair and a goatee, and who thus looks weird and wrong and evil for some reason).

And, over at Robot 6, I reviewed a quartet of books: Julie Delporte's Everywhere Antennas (excellent, but not for everyone), Pascal Girard's Petty Theft (excellent, for everyone), the new edition of Nicolas De Crecy's Glacial Period (must-read) and Enki Bilal's not-comics-but-similar-ballpark Phantoms of the Louvre (interesting enough).

While getting ready to write that, I went back and read Girard's Bigfoot, which, for reasons I can't comprehend in retrospect, I hadn't read before (And I love comics, Bigoot and Pascal Girard). It's pretty great stuff too; not as funny as Reunion or Petty Theft maybe, but still pretty funny. And in color. And featuring Bigfoot (in a way). Great end pages, too.

1 comment:

SallyP said...

I'm just so happy that Tiny Titans is back. A happy book without dismemberments!